Thursday, September 18, 2008

My prayers have been answered


No, it's not how I thought they would be answered. It is funny how God works in my life sometimes. In 2004 I was 37 I had two cancer diagnoses been through chemotherapy two times as well as radiation. My doctor was trying to put me into menopause by giving me a monthly injection in my stomach. I had been taking the shots for about four years and it was not accomplishing what he had hoped for. He recommended that I speak with a genetic counselor and consider taking the test to see if I carried the breast cancer gene. Well I spoke with the counselor and she felt that there was a high probability that I had the gene. I felt like I didn't want to take the test unless I was going to do something different if it came back positive. The recommendation was that it was needed information to determine the next step in treating me. I took the test and it came back positive. I was advised by a team of doctors to have a hysterectomy and possible mastectomy I discussed this with my oncologist and we decided together that I should do the hysterectomy but we would hold off on the mastectomy and if I had another cancer in my breast I would have to have the surgery. I have been still praying about this since 2004 and asking the Lord to show me what I should do about this. In August when I took my mammogram and it showed a suspicious spot and then had it biopsied and it was determined that there were some cancer cells but they were confined to the milk ducts. I believe that this was answered prayer. I believe that this is what was needed for me to take this step and do what I need to do. Now as I prepare for my surgery today I know that the Lord will be with me and I know that this is what he had led me to do. I am so weak but in him I have such strength. I would never have imagined that I could have such peace and joy while facing this.

No comments: