Thursday, December 25, 2008

One Year ago today


One year ago today I posted this: Sommer has been keeping us all in suspense but Christmas morning she announced her decision after she graduates in June she has decided to go into the AIM program. She does not make this decision lightly she has been thinking and praying about this for over a year and has decided that this is what she wants to do and believes that this is how she can best serve God right after high school. Arnold and I are very excited about her decision we know she will have such a memorable two years. We will miss her so much but we know that God will guide her and take care of her through the AIM staff. Thank all of you who have encouraged her and inspired her to do this.

When we left Sommer in Texas back in August I thought I would die from a broken heart. I missed her so much. It was a very difficult time for me. Josh had moved out, my mom was going through chemotherapy, and I was getting ready for the biggest surgery that I have ever had both physically and emotionally. It would have been so easy to say "no I don't want you to go, just stay here". I knew that God was calling her and I would not stand in her way. When Sommer told us last year, on Christmas morning that she had decided to go to Texas to the AIM program, Arnold and I were so excited. But Satan got busy real quick trying to discourage and distract her. Family and friends not wanting her to go, my mom getting sick, then with myself finding out that I was going to need to have a mastectomy. I remember when I told her I was going to have the surgery I told her don't even think about staying home you made your decision and you are going. That may be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do because it would have been so easy to tell her just stay I need you! But it has been such a growing time for her and for me.

I am sure that she can tell you it has not been easy. It has been a growing, molding time the last few months and there has been times when she wanted to come home. Times when she felt she could not do this anymore. Times when she wanted to be here for us and felt so confused.

I see the girl that came home for Christmas and she is motivated, she is excited to be doing work for the Lord. She tells me things she is learning in her classes and I hear stories about the other young kids leaving their families just as she has. One of the toughest things for these young people is when they put together the mission teams. Sommer had her top picks and top people but was committed to praying about where God wants to use her and who he wants her to go with. Before she left for Christmas break she found out that she is going to Scotland with three other girls, Ashley, Cassey and Jessica. Please keep these girls in your constant prayers. When they go back to Texas on January 11TH they will be moving into an apartment together and starting what is their "mission term" part of that is to get them ready for the field. They will not be using technology like cell phones, computers, or any of their electronic devices and will be walking or riding the bus and no fast food (I kinda like that idea). They will be in Texas until April 15Th then will go home to try to raise support for their field time and leave for the field sometime in June.

No comments: